perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <phark...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: a better way to recognize module changes
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 21:52:41 GMT
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Jonathan Swartz <swartz@pobox.com> wrote:
> This is the nicest solution I've seen so far. The only problem I can see is
> its performance - each potentially-changing module has to be loaded on each
> request. **

How long does it take for you?  I've run a lot of large mod_perl apps
this way and never seen it take more than 3 seconds to compile and
generate a page.  Maybe this is only an issue with Moose?  Or maybe
there's some expensive initialization that could be skipped in
development?

Anyway, another approach would be to set MaxClients to 1 and install
cleanup handler that kills the current process if it sees that any of
the watched modules have been changed.  Then you don't need a separate
process.

- Perrin