perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Adam Prime <adam.pr...@utoronto.ca>
Subject Re: Ways to scale a mod_perl site
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:48:45 GMT
Igor Chudov wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:05 AM, Michael Peters <mpeters@plusthree.com
> <mailto:mpeters@plusthree.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 09/16/2009 11:49 AM, Igor Chudov wrote:
>
>         1) Use a load balancer like perlbal (I am already doing that)
>

>     A load balancer is good but so are proxies. If you can separate your
>     application server from the server that servers static content then
>     you'll get a boost even if they are on the same machine.
>

> I have very little static content. Even images are generated. My site
> generates images of math formulae such as (x-1)/(x+1) on the fly.,

I can understand generating them on the fly for flexibility reasons, but
I'd cache them, and serve them statically after that, rather than
regenerate the images on every single request.  You can accomplish that
in the app itself, or just by throwing a caching proxy in front of it
(maybe you're already doing this with perlbal)

Adam