perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jeff Peng <jeffp...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: Ways to scale a mod_perl site
Date Fri, 18 Sep 2009 01:58:22 GMT

-----Original Message-----

we needed some reverse proxies for CDN.
for example, our primary webservers were in ISP A, while in ISP B, we put some squid as reverse
proxies to serve the users in local ISP.

>Also, you may eliminate Squid. Using
>Apache for static content is good enough (easy to get 5k static PV per
>second per server, or 400 millions per day).

No. I'm sure serving static content Apache is worse than squid.
when I was in another department, I maintained the systems for AD union (like google's AD).
all content are static, PV of each day was about 200 million.
but we had less than 20 squid (IIRC it was 18) boxes for handling this amount of requests.
the same amount of Apache couldn't handle that case.

Regards,
Jeff Peng