perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jeff Peng <jeffp...@mindspring.com>
Subject Re: Ways to scale a mod_perl site
Date Thu, 17 Sep 2009 08:12:11 GMT

-----Original Message-----

Yup, at that time the primary pressure against performance was database.
We used distributed Mysql servers with an oracle index server.
Each mysql host served 1 - 1.5 million users.
When an user logined, the application queried oracle to get the mysql host id with the key
of username.
Then the application queried to mysql and got anything it wanted.
The systems generated 2T data each day (surely we had large amount of store).

The front apache servers with FastCGI were running heavily, I remember 8G memory were almost
eated.
Squid was useful for static resources, but for dynamic applications like CGI, no way to reduce
the pressure but adding more machines.

Last, the applications are webmail, the best popolar provider here.

Regards,
Jeff Peng