perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Clinton Gormley <cl...@traveljury.com>
Subject Re: double mod_perl initialization
Date Sat, 26 Sep 2009 11:17:34 GMT

> But at some point, several iterative fixes by the Apache crew had
> succeeded such that 'apachectl graceful' worked better than my
> 'graceful' script in some way.
>
> It was sufficiently long ago that I've forgotten in what way, but the
> memory is clear enough that I think Messrs. Swartz and Clint are
> beating a dead bug.

I'm using apache 2.2.9, mod_ssl 2.2.9 and mod_perl 2.04, and I still
have problems with graceful-restart.

It works under certain conditions, but (i think) combined with mod_ssl,
my httpd children hang around indefinitely, unless I set
GracefulShutdownTimeout.

For this reason I use: apachectl graceful-stop; apachectl start

> Double initialization does not prevent problems with restart
> (graceful or otherwise) for most configuration or perl problems.
> Isn't that because by the time the root httpd starts the first (re)
> initialization it has already notified the children (that use the old
> configuration and code) to go away?  So if restart is the reason for
> double initialization, by all means let's encourage the Apache folks
> to reconsider the idea, and work around it until they do.

Because apache (normally) starts up as root, then drops privileges, it
tries to confirm that it can restart as not-root.

In my setup, I know that it can do this, and so I'd rather avoid that
double init.  Also, I'd rather avoid setting up my whole application
just to shut down apache.

So, YMMV, but it works well for me.

clint