perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Alan McKay <alan.mc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: first time debugging apache/mod_perl Seg fault
Date Tue, 14 Jul 2009 15:49:21 GMT
> I have had to debug these things before, and they're very painful!  I
> usually end up commenting out half the code at a time to narrow things
> down, and it's never what I expect.  Usually it's a module with a
> compiled library, i.e. not a pure-Perl module.

Well, the really crummy thing is that it is sporadic.  Our application
is in production and gets thousands of successful uses a day with no
problems.  The core dumps are seemingly random and sporadic, and do
not greatly negatively affect the user.

But still we really want to get to the bottom of it.

Another issue with the matter of commenting stuff out is that our code
is MASSIVE, so that won't be easy.

But as per my other email, I'm now taking a slightly different
approach so we'll see where that gets me.