perl-modperl mailing list archives

From E R <pc88m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: sending all of stderr to a process
Date Sun, 05 Apr 2009 19:20:06 GMT
Hi Torsten,

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 4:13 AM, Torsten Foertsch
<torsten.foertsch@gmx.net> wrote:

> And later on it does not check the return code when writing the log:
>
> httpd-2.2.11/server/log.c:682:
>        apr_file_puts(errstr, logf);
>        apr_file_flush(logf);

My concern is about what happens in this scenario:

1. Set everything up (named pipe, logger process, etc.)
2. Now suppose the logger process dies (it crashes or I need to restart it)
3. Any writes through existing connections to the named pipe will just
fail, and I'll lose those writes.

I'm pretty sure about #3, but I might be wrong.

Perhaps I can't do what I want to do at the application level and I
need to go to the kernel level - like write my own device driver or
something, especially since I want to capture all output sent through
stderr (ie. from Apache and from mod_perl and from any XS modules.)