perl-modperl mailing list archives

From David Stewart <david.stew...@eviesays.com>
Subject Re: decline and fall of modperl?
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:39:08 GMT
On Mar 27, 2009, at 5:08 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> [...]

I'm not really sure why it wouldn't be a good idea to try and educate
consultants about the value of Perl / mod_perl.  It seems to be
consultants have a lot of influence over what tools get used for
projects they work on.  The fact that many don't have much if any
exposure/knowledge of Perl and mod_perl certainly hurts the Perl
community.  Discussing the advantages / disadvantages of Perl and
mod_perl so that we can all help educate the consultants and
institutions we work with about how mod_perl can benefit certain
projects seems like a rather important task.

>>> Of course this question should be answered with language
>>> comparisons,
>>
>>> Hardly.  What matters is the quality of the software and whether
>>> or not
>>> it meets the customer's needs.  There's nothing wrong with
>>> recommending
>>> the "right" tool for the job, even if the "right" tool isn't
>>> implemented
>>> in perl.
>>
>> The question wasn't about the quality of perl, but the poster
>> wanted to know if
>> Perl/Mason/mod_perl are obsolete.
>> A language could be very good but obsolete because there are other
>> better tools,
>> or because other tools are prefered even if they are not so good,
>> and it could
>> be easier to find programmers that use those new tools.
>>
>>> and of course that those answers should be based on our opinions and
>> experience,
>>> because if there would be very scientific studies that show which
>>> of the
>>> languages are modern and which are obsolete, which are good and
>>> which are bad,
>>> it could be very simple to find the sites with those scientific
>>> studies using
>>> Google and it wouldn't need to be asked on a mailing list.
>>>
>>> Here is a good article written by Ovid - "Perl 5 is dying":
>>>
>>> http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/38010?from=rss
>>>
>>> We should also remember that somebody discovered that perl 5 is
>>> dying 9 years
>>> ago, and this was the thing that created the idea of perl 6, that
>>> should be
>>> totally different.
>>
>>> Languages don't die, they aren't people.  People will continue to
>>> use
>>> perl5 for the forseeable future, even after perl 6 is finally
>>> released.
>>
>> "Die" is just an expression that wants to tell that the language is
>> not used by
>> more and more programmers, but by fewer.
>
> Usage statistics are irrelevent to the vitality of a language.
> What's relevant
> to the perl community is something like how many module maintainers
> have abandoned
> their codebases.  Do you have any information about how many modules
> are on
> CPAN that are no longer supported?  And to bring it back to
> mod_perl, how many
> of those are Apache modules?

It's hard to argue that Latin is on the same footing as English when
Latin is only spoken by a tiny handful of people even though it has a
lot of great history.  Technology, like language, generally lives and
dies by its user-base.  Usage is also directly related to developer
enthusiasm in most cases.  A developer isn't going to want to spend
time maintaining a module if no one is using it.  It's a lot easier to
justify spending weeks or months getting a module ready for CPAN if
you have some reasonable expectation that a lot of people are going to
benefit from it.