perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Octavian R√Ęsnita <orasn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: decline and fall of modperl?
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:25:44 GMT
From: "Joe Schaefer" <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com>
> Comparative analysis of programming languages has nothing whatsoever to
> do with modperl, or even anything to do with the real needs of this
> community
> of users.  It's simply an exercise in argumentation based on personal
> experience alone by people who have absolutely no knowledge of any actual
> relevant statistics on the subject (assuming there even *are* any such
> things).

The original message that started this thread was:

"""
> One of our customers is doing a detailed review of a mason/modperl ERP app
> we've built for them since 2001. Prodded by some
> buzzword-compliant consultants they are expressing concerns that the app's
> underlying technologies - perl, modperl and mason - are
> becoming obsolete. They feel that a web application framework must have
> 'rails' or some other buzzword in its name.
"""

Of course this question should be answered with language comparisons, and of
course that those answers should be based on our opinions and experience,
because if there would be very scientific studies that show which of the
languages are modern and which are obsolete, which are good and which are
bad, it could be very simple to find the sites with those scientific studies
using Google and it wouldn't need to be asked on a mailing list.

Here is a good article written by Ovid - "Perl 5 is dying":

http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/38010?from=rss

We should also remember that somebody discovered that perl 5 is dying 9
years ago, and this was the thing that created the idea of perl 6, that
should be totally different.

Octavian