perl-modperl mailing list archives

From David Ihnen <dav...@norchemlab.com>
Subject Is Cookbook good perl?
Date Thu, 26 Mar 2009 17:39:03 GMT
Rolf Banting wrote:
> Fair enough Simon. I would recommend you look at the Cookbook too - it
> has recipes for everything from iterating through a hash to web
> automation.
>
> http://docstore.mik.ua/orelly/perl/cookbook/
Do people think that the cookbook is good perl practice?  Its been
mentioned a few times, and I can't help but wince a bit each time.

Its not like I can put my finger directly on it, but the perl feels...
Old Style and frequently non-optimal in pattern and method.

Like maybe we could combine Damian Conway's Perl Best Practices and
Object Oriented Perl (open on my desk working my way through it!) and
revise Perl Cookbook - providing a 'fresh book for beginners on perl'
that is up to date.

Maybe its planned for Perl 6, I dunno.  But I would deposit the opinion
that Cookbook is not the best book to learn from, for the best practices
of perl.

David