perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perl Junkie <>
Subject Re: decline and fall of modperl?
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2009 22:37:35 GMT
Alexandr Ciornii wrote:
> Hi.
> It possible to encrypt perl sources with same safety as with PHP -
> with possibility of source decryption. But Perl developers are in
> general more advanced than PHP developers so they know how to decrypt
> it, in contrast to PHP developers that do not know that encrypted PHP
> sources can easily be decrypted. There are also some bytecode
> compilers for Perl (alpha stage).
> 2009/3/23 Octavian R√Ęsnita <>:
>> PHP, C#, Java are much more prefered, because the programs created with them
>> can hide the source code much better, while this is not possible with Perl.
>> This is a big reason why the software companies that create custom programs
>> for their clients prefer to use those languages and not perl. Not because
>> perl is bad.
Not to keep the PHP thing going, but I would tend to de-classify about
30% of the people who call themselves "PHP developers."  There is a VERY
high propensity among many in this community to go out and "borrow code"
and "retrofit it."  I'm not saying Perl developers don't do this, but I
don't believe there are very many heavily invested in the Perl community
who have this bent -- many are devoted to the craft of true, honest to
goodness OO development.

I also left out a very important and I would say very well known Perl
*powerhouse* in corporate America:

Some of the best of the best work there.  You can't even get a sniff
from them (eg. interview) without being in the upper crust of Perl
development.  No Perl "wanna-bes" allowed there.  All very solid OO
development only.

View raw message