perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perl Junkie <perljun...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: decline and fall of modperl?
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2009 22:31:18 GMT
Byrne Reese wrote:
>> The problem is that there are no very many big sites that use perl
>> either.
>> I knew that Amazon used Perl, than tried to use Java, than... I don't
>> know what they use now.
>> Google uses Python, Yahoo uses PHP, Microsoft probably uses DotNet
>> and Sun probably uses Java.
>
> I will add:
>
> * LiveJournal
> * TypePad
> * Vox
> * Popular MT sites like:
>   - Huffington Post
>   - Gothamist
>   - Talking Points Memo
>   - many, many, many more of course

As far as I know, these sites also use Perl or mod_perl:

o Internet Movie Database (Amazon)
o TicketMaster (last I checked, but that was a couple of years ago and
they were recently sold or bought or something)
o CitySearch.com
o ArtToday.com
o PBS Online

I also know that a very large international cosmetics company uses
mod_perl quite extensively.  I've done some work for them and I don't
know if or how they would care for their name being mentioned here, so I
won't, but...  If you want "large" -- they define "large."

-----
I wouldn't "count" a company that uses a Perl "product" or CMS or some
sort (such as MT) as a "perl site" in the strict sense of the word.
Some of the techies at places like Huffington Post may be aware of the
underlying technology, but I doubt very much that "Perl" itself drove
the decision as much as the great work that Ben and Mena Trott did at
SixApart.com in creating such a product.

-----
And I have to chime in and say I've seen plenty of ugly, ridiculous code
written in every language imaginable (everyone's precious "Java" and JEE
very much included.)  It's not a product of the language as much as the
language bearer.  Sorry.  That's always been the case.  Margin for error
on a tight mountain road doesn't automatically a bad driver make -- only
the one who will not heed the type of road and car he's in in the
situation.  Anyone can zoom through an intersection full of traffic on a
wide-open, flat country road as well.  The road being the intent and
direction and the car being Perl (and pretty cotton-pickin' good one, I
might add), I don't see the correlation here.  Again, this is clever
smoke and mirrors by consultants with a different agenda and product to
sell.  The craft of programming and development are only slightly
impacted by these kinds of things.

-pj