perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Byrne Reese <by...@majordojo.com>
Subject Re: decline and fall of modperl?
Date Mon, 23 Mar 2009 17:54:59 GMT
It amazes me that this entire thread neglects to mention PHP. Granted,
it started with a discussion about web frameworks, for which PHP does
not have a strong footing, unless of course you count Drupal and
Wordpress and the like among such "frameworks." But still, PHP cannot
and should not be ignored.

In my experience in working on Movable Type, PHP is the single biggest
source of competition on the market because it has the lowest barrier
to entry and has the largest mind share. Say what you will about PHP
developers, but they are a dime a dozen these days and  they are about
as ubiquitous as HTML/CSS developers.

We were frequently confronted with this question/challenge by MT
customers: "we can't find *affordable* Perl developers to help us," or
worse, "we already have 10 people on staff who know PHP." What it
boils down to for most companies is "can I develop this thing with the
staff I have, or do I have to open up job reqs to get the talent I
need?" or put simple, "how much is this going to cost me?"

Put into these terms, PHP always looks cheaper on paper because
chances are there are people on staff who already know PHP, or the
cost of hiring a good Perl programmer is too high.

Byrne