perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Perrin Harkins <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: Using mod_perl in a non httpd environment
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 17:50:48 GMT
On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 6:47 AM, titetluc titetluc <titetluc@gmail.com> wrote:
> I wrote a mod_perl module managing FORM authentication (and a lot of other
> things).
> This module had to run on a platform (router) with a lot of memory/CPU.
> These last days, our marketing team changed the platform definition (few
> memory, cheap CPU) !!!!

How much?  I've run mod_perl comfortably on machines that look pretty
small by today's standards.

> My questions: is there a way to run mod_perl/my_module on an HTTP
> server/reverse proxy other than apache ?
> If so, what kind of HTTP server/reverse proxy ?

Apache is a fast, small, and efficient HTTP server.  It can run in
tiny amounts of RAM.  Your problem here is Perl, which, like most
high-level languages, uses a lot of memory.  If you have to work in a
really tight space, I'd suggest rewriting your module as an apache
module in C.

- Perrin