perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Adam Prime <adam.pr...@utoronto.ca>
Subject Re: Apache request processing phases question
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 17:25:07 GMT
Patrick Galbraith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm in the midst of writing a book currently, and am covering the
> sections in the book on mod_perl and Apache.
>
> In previous texts for Apache 1.3, it
> would show 11 phases. In the document on
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/developer/request.html, it shows 4
> primary phases, each having their own steps within.
 >
> Is it accurate to say then that for Apache 2.2, there are four request
> processing phases in the request cycle? How does this reconcile with
> 1.3 having 11? Are the new phases just a different way of grouping steps
> the used
> to be considered their own phases?

The 11 phases in 1.3 map to all the steps within the 4 major phases.  I
think there are new ones added in 2.0, namely map_to_storage.  For the
mod_perl angle on phases, I'd suggest having a look at this section of
the documentation:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/index.html

specifically, the part titled 'Part V: mod_perl Handlers', including:

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/server.html
and
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html

If you're talking about Apache though, not mod_perl, then you'd probably
be better off to ask the one of the httpd lists.

Adam