perl-modperl mailing list archives

From John ORourke <john-modp...@o-rourke.org>
Subject Re: dealing with empty field names in query
Date Sat, 07 Feb 2009 02:18:48 GMT
André Warnier wrote:

>> In those name/value pairs, according to HTML 4 at least, the names
>> must begin with a letter [A-Za-z]. The empty string does not do so.
>> Garbage in, garbage out.
>>
> +1
> + :
> Above the OP is talking about a request "body".  Are we sure that this
> is really a request body, and not a query-string ?
> What does the <form> tag really look like ? (enctype)
> Just thinking that if this is a query-string, is it not just being cut
> off after a certain size ?
> It would not be possible to submit this data as multipart/form-data,
> for a similar reason to what Phil says.

It's regular form data using the post method, so no length issue and
normal URI parameter rules apply.  I suspect Phil is correct but I can't
find any mention of this in the HTML 4 spec, which is what prompted my
question.  Phil, can you point me to the part of the spec which
specifies that a field name must begin with an ASCII letter?

cheers
John