perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Adam Prime <adam.pr...@utoronto.ca>
Subject Re: tracking a coredump problem
Date Wed, 28 Jan 2009 14:15:27 GMT
Carl Brewer wrote:
> And in the (RHEL/CentOS format) init.d script
> start() {
>         echo -n $"Starting $prog: "
>         ulimit -S -c unlimited >/dev/null 2>&1
>         LANG=$HTTPD_LANG daemon $httpd $OPTIONS -f $conf
>         RETVAL=$?
>         echo
>         ulimit -c
>         [ $RETVAL = 0 ] && touch ${lockfile}
>         return $RETVAL
> }

Why are there two ulimit lines in here?  Does the second one undo what
the first one did, causing cores to not get generated?

When I needed to get cores generated I did exactly what it said here:

http://httpd.apache.org/dev/debugging.html#crashes

namely, that I ran ulimit in the shell, then in that same shell started
apache with apachectl.  I was able to generate cores that way.

Adam