perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Kurt Hansen <khan...@charityweb.net>
Subject perl rpm for CentOS/RHEL 5 available or advice
Date Mon, 15 Dec 2008 17:48:56 GMT
Hello,

I've rolled my own perl, mod_perl, and Apache from source so far but
plan to use rpms going forward to make it easier to setup and maintain
multiple machines.

As I understand rpms, I can either use the stock rpms from CentOS or
create my own by getting the src.rpm, modifying the spec file, and then
using rpmbuild to create a new rpm. I'm not clear on the details on
this, but I'm sure I can figure it out using the documentation at rpm.org.

While the stock rpms from CentOS may be fine for Apache and mod_perl,
the stock perl is not optimal for running mod_perl since, for one, it
has threading turned on. (As I understand from reading this list.) Thus,
for perl I will have to create my own rpm.

Has anyone done this for CentOS/RHEL 5? I've searched for an perl rpm
without threading but haven't found one for CentOS. Any pitfalls I
should be aware of?

I'm planning to still use CPAN to install most perl modules once perl is
installed.

Thanks!

Take care,

Kurt Hansen