perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Perrin Harkins" <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: mod_perl survey results
Date Wed, 12 Nov 2008 04:45:15 GMT
On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 7:46 PM, Andrew Rodland <arodland@comcast.net> wrote:
> But you _do_ want to keep static file serving apart from the app code (or else
> incur the memory overhead of an app process for every file download), so you do
> need to go that frontend/backend route -- and it seems to me that apache behind
> a proxy (which may be another apache) is a lot bigger and uglier a beast than
> fastcgi behind a webserver (which may be apache).

This is what I'm talking about -- people have "a feeling" that apache
is somehow "heavy" but no concrete reason for it.  Apache HTTPD has a
very small footprint and is very efficient.  It's been saturating
people's bandwidth from Pentium I boxes for years.  The thing that
takes all the resources here is perl, and it's the same perl in both
cases.

- Perrin