perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Holger Kipp ...@alogis.com>
Subject Re: Best filesystem type for mod_cache in reverse proxy?
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:59:44 GMT
On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 03:37:29PM -0500, Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 3:16 PM, Michael Peters <mpeters@plusthree.com> wrote:
> > Well except for getting 15K disks you probably won't be able to get much
> > more improvement from just the hardware.
>
> You don't think so?  RAID and SSD can both improve your write
> throughput pretty significantly.

Using squid he could define one cache-directory for every disk,
so striping won't increase performance of the disks that much.
more important might be how the os is caching write changes to
mitigate limited bandwidth (io) of the disks.

With ReiserFS I have seen some benchmarks that are not really in
favour, like

http://linuxgazette.net/122/TWDT.html#piszcz

and my experience with UFS2 (albeit on FreeBSD) was much better
than with Linux/ReiserFS on the same machine. Neither were tuned, though,
so ymmv.

Regards,
Holger Kipp