perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Guy Alston" <sir...@kernan.umm.edu>
Subject Re: Mod_Perl and Net::SMTP
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2008 21:19:33 GMT
First of all thanks to everyone who has responded.  I've run a few more test and the problem
is clearly around "MOD_Perl". I've load an SMTP server on the same system where I'm running
the apache server and the scripts fail to establish a session.
I'm able to run those scripts same scripts successfully from the console using the Netware
Perl Interpreter. Both the Apache MOD_PERL and Netware NLM are 5.8.4  version of Perl.  I'm
running apache 2.0.59.  on Netware 6.5 sp6.

>>> Philip M. Gollucci<pgollucci@p6m7g8.com> 10/3/2008 10:34:12 AM >>>

Guy Alston wrote:
  Error message:
> Can't call method "mail" on an undefined value at
> sys:/perl/web/mailtest2.pl line 6.
>
> It's always a line containing " $smtp = Net::SMTP->new("smtpserver")

Net::SMTP is known to work, though I'm not currently using it.
You could add

local $SIG{__WARN__} = \&Carp::cluck;
local $SIG{__DIE__}  = \&Carp::confess;

This will help tell you where in Net::SMTP you are having a problem.

Once you know that, you can try to fix it.

OR this works --

use MIME::Lite ();

sub email {
     my %args = @_;

     my $email = MIME::Lite->new( Type => 'multipart/mixed' );

     $email->add(To      => $args{to});
     $email->add(BCC     => $args{bcc});
     $email->add(From    => $args{from});
     $email->add(Subject => $args{subject});

     $email->attach(Type => "TEXT", Data => $args{data});

     MIME::Lite->send('smtp', SMTP_HOST, Timeout => 5);

     eval { $email->send };

     return $@;
}

> I tried many different scripts but it always seems to be a problem
> around the object  utilizing "Net::SMTP;.  Is there a known issue with
> this. My version of MOD_PERL is 1.01.00

Was I even alive when this version of mod_perl was out ?

Given that, more importantly, what version of perl are you using ?