perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com>
Subject Re: Sleepycat::DbXml problem "httpd: symbol lookup error"
Date Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:30:53 GMT
Felipe de Jesús Molina Bravo wrote:

>         maybe is important to say how  compile apache and modperl ....
>         (it was very difficult):
>

>     Can you try compiling mod_perl as a shared object?  Static module
>     support for mp2 is not as well supported.
>
>     perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/path/to/httpd/apxs
>
> I will try it  .....
>
> mmm.... maybe it is another thread... but I prefer static modper  for
> the next arguments:
>
> 1. I guess the static modperl is faster than dynamic .... I  know that
> dynamic is more  maintainable that static;  for my aplication  i
> require  modperl more soon;

Maybe it is faster, maybe it isn't.  Either way, it is very unlikely
that you would run up against this difference as a bottleneck in your
application.

> 2. When modperl is dynamic i had some segment fault when i share objects
> at the start of apache; when is static i don't have problem ... (maybe
> i some errors  in my code)

That could be - if you could post those faults and also your startup.pl
program we may be able to help.

> there are things that worry me:
> 1. In my linux distribution (gentoo) there are not any package with
> static modperl
 >
> 2. I see that most of the community uses modperl as dynamic ... maybe
> is it  a sign of die the static modperl?

Building mod_perl as a static module was the defacto standard with
mod_perl1, just as building as a dynamic module is defacto with
mod_perl2.  I would not try to get caught up in the differences though
and suggest that you try to get a working build as a dynamically loaded
module.  If you encounter problems there, they will definitely be of
interest to the rest of us who build mod_perl as a shared object.