perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Mark Stosberg <m...@summersault.com>
Subject Re: Any success with storing photos in a database? (prevents double-submits)
Date Wed, 15 Oct 2008 16:31:24 GMT
On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:06:26 -0400
Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:04:29 -0400
> "Perrin Harkins" <perrin@elem.com> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Mark Stosberg <mark@summersault.com> wrote:
> > > We have a large, busy, database application that relates to millions of
> > > photos, which we also need to store and display.
>
> If I find anything "interesting" about our inconsistency, I'll report back.

I said I'd report back if I found out where the inconsistency was appearing, between files
on the file system and meta-data in the database.

So far, I've found the following:

We had a "double submit" bug that allowed a form to be submitted twice when we
weren't fully prepared for that. We are still researching the best practices to
address this a general case. One approach we are considering is change the
submit action on forms with JavaScript, so it disables the submit button, and
then actually submit the form, preventing one kind of double-submission. It
seems like I don't see this approach happening in the wild much, though. I
suspect there is a better solution.

Beyond this, I think we've found the remaining inconsistencies to be happening
at extremely low rates, to the point where it might be worth completely
tracking down the final issue.

In summary, I think the majority advice found on this list holds true: storing
image files on the file system and meta-data in the database is a good way to
go.

    Mark

   Mark Stosberg            Principal Developer
   mark@summersault.com     Summersault, LLC
   765-939-9301 ext 202     database driven websites
 . . . . . http://www.summersault.com/ . . . . . . . .