perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Thomas Hilbig <thil...@yahoo.com>
Subject Reducing memory usage using fewer cgi programs
Date Fri, 17 Oct 2008 17:37:09 GMT
I have about a dozen small cgi programs under mod_perl2 that all pretty well look like this..

 use CGI;
 use DBI;
 use perlchartdir ; # graphing
 fetch parameters
 build SQL and fetch data from database
 build graph image from data
 send image

Under mod_perl, will the memory footprint of the libraries be shared across all of the programs
that use them, or could I reduce the memory usage by merging all of the programs into one
larger program (a maintenance problem, but worth while if it saves memory)?

I also use a PerlRequire startup.pl to preload most modules (CGI, DBI), but I thought that
was only for quicker startup times and not for sharing memory.  Is that correct?

Thanks, Tom