perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Perrin Harkins" <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: Any success with storing photos in a database?
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 17:24:48 GMT
On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 1:11 PM, David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Perrin Harkins <perrin@elem.com> wrote:
>> I don't use it, but it can do auth and serve images.
>
> as can Apache itself, with appropriate access control.  The two steps
> (this should not be news to anyone here) are checking the auth then
> something like "exec cat $filename" for which modperl is kind of
> heavy.

Perlbal does have some unique features.  It can check the auth for an
image with your mod_perl backend and then serve the image itself.
It's built on an event loop model and it has some direct ties to
MogileFS.  There's a good feature list here:
http://www.danga.com/perlbal/

I would typically stick with apache and mod_auth_tkt, but for people
who already use MogileFS this must be a pretty attractive setup.

- Perrin