perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Ryan Gies <r...@livesite.net>
Subject Re: Share perl variables between apache process
Date Tue, 23 Sep 2008 20:06:07 GMT
On Tue, 23 Sep 2008 12:11:03 -0700 (PDT)
badman wrote:

> I was asking if there is a way that i could get a really shared
> variable among all the process,

I had no problems using IPC::Sharable with mp2 and it may be what
you're looking for.  I do not use this in production as the data shared
does not persist user permissions, e.g., a shared object create by root
can be accessed by any process running under any user permitting they
have the 4-character key.

> it could be helpful to investigate threads's module?

Yes, understand your Apache MPM, how Perl is compiled, and the
implications of using shared memory (/shm) in general.  I wouldn't take
this lightly in the context of a production web server.