perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Michael Gardner <gardne...@gmail.com>
Subject Diagnosing memory usage
Date Mon, 16 Jun 2008 02:09:23 GMT
I've inherited an existing Apache+mod_perl 1.3.x server. I am not very
experienced with Apache nor mod_perl, so I have to pick up things as I
go along.

Recently I built a new version of Apache (1.3.41) with static mod_perl
1.30, and it seems to work. The problem is that every few days or so,
the server apparently runs out of memory, grinding to a halt and
necessitating a hard reset.

I suspect mod_perl is the primary memory user here, since most of the
pages we serve are Perl scripts. But I don't know how to go about
diagnosing the problem, especially since the server gets so bogged
down when it happens that I can't access it to get info on running
processes, memory usage, etc. I have noticed that the memory usage of
each httpd process seems to grow over time, but it's usually very slow
growth, and I can't tell if that's really a leak or just normal
behavior.

Workarounds would be helpful, but naturally I'd prefer to eliminate
the cause of the problem. I've been looking through the documentation,
but haven't made much progress so far. How can I get to the bottom of
this?

-Michael