perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "michael watson \(IAH-C\)" <michael.wat...@bbsrc.ac.uk>
Subject RE: graphics in perl
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2008 07:32:12 GMT
Did you try GD::Graph?

-----Original Message-----
From: Foo JH [mailto:jhfoo-ml@extracktor.com]
Sent: Tue 24/06/2008 8:15 AM
To: modperl@perl.apache.org
Subject: Re: graphics in perl

Rolf Schaufelberger wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 22. Juni 2008 11:27:26 schrieb Malka Cymbalista:
>
>> We are running perl 5.8.5 on a Linux machine that is running apache 2.2.6
>> with mod_perl 2.0.3.  Our data is in a MySQL database (MySQL 5.0.45)
>>
>> We have been asked to write a web application that requires plotting
>> capabilities.  We do most of our web programming in perl so I am looking
>> for a perl module that has the following features: 1. ability to create
>> histograms
>> 2. ability to create x,y plots
>> 3. ability to zoom in on a portion of the graph
>> 4. ability to calculate the distance between 2  points on the graph
>> 5. ability to hover on a point and bring up some text
>>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions for which perl modules we should look
>> into?

To make your life easier, use a third-party Flash charting tool. It's
pretty and it's more interactive than a static jpg (for example).

The role of Perl in this case is simply to generate the data for the
flash application to load. Most of the time it's an XML document, so
that's something Perl does very well.