perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Perrin Harkins" <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: mod_perl: performance tips
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:34:00 GMT
On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 4:24 PM, tyju tiui <jckdnk111@yahoo.com> wrote:
> hmmm, I read the performance chapters from http://www.modperlbook.org/ but there really
isn't much in the way of mod_perl-specific tweaks.
> It's mostly about hardware tips, benchmarking tips, and apache server tweaks (and of
course perl language tweaks).

Well, that's really all there is to tune with mod_perl itself.  The
rest is Perl.

> The book recommended preloading perl modules which was helpful, but it is still way behind
the C module (4 - 5 times fewer requests per second).
> Is mod_perl just that much slower than a pure C module?

Is C 5 times faster than Perl?  Yes, it often is for CPU intensive
number-crunching applications.  Is that what you're doing?

> What I'm saying is I don't think it's the code which is making such a huge difference
... I think mod_perl itself is the bottleneck.

Since mod_perl is just the glue code between Apache and Perl, that
doesn't really make sense.  The overhead of mod_perl compared to
running a C module is negligible.  What's taking all the time is your
Perl code.

There are lots of tricks for improving the speed of Perl, but unless
you can show us some code, there's no way for us to help you.  I still
suggest running your code through a profiler and then getting help
with the slowest parts, either here or on a general Perl discussion.

- Perrin