perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Michael Peters <mpet...@plusthree.com>
Subject Re: mod_perl: performance tips
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:33:02 GMT
tyju tiui wrote:
> hmmm, I read the performance chapters from http://www.modperlbook.org/ but there really
isn't much in the way of mod_perl-specific tweaks.
> It's mostly about hardware tips, benchmarking tips, and apache server tweaks (and of
course perl language tweaks).

mod_perl is the combination of Apache and Perl. So almost all of the performance
tips are about Apache and Perl.

> I think mod_perl itself is the bottleneck.

Maybe it's not mod_perl, but Perl itself, or your usage of it. Perl is not
as fast as C and depending on what you're doing it could be 4-5 times slower. Or
it could be that you're not writing very efficient Perl code.

> Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing mod_perl ... I had read in a few different places
that mod_perl is on par or only slightly behind C for writing Apache modules. This is why
I am searching for performance tweaks to begin with - also because I really want to use perl
in place of C :-)

I think it depends on what you're doing. Perl is definitely slower than C at
most things and the only places where it's faster are probably because coding
the faster solution in C is too costly.

But as others have mentioned on the list... you need to profile your code. See
(don't guess) where the bottlenecks are and then post here (or Perl monks, etc)
on advice on speeding things up. Just a warning though... if you change your
code to be better performant that usually comes with some
readability/maintainability loss too.

--
Michael Peters
Plus Three, LP