perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Issac Goldstand <mar...@beamartyr.net>
Subject Re: [OT] Solaris + Apache 2.2 / PHP 5 cluster config help
Date Tue, 20 May 2008 20:00:02 GMT

Perrin Harkins wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 8:05 AM, Issac Goldstand <margol@beamartyr.net> wrote:
>> Also, do people have concrete
>> benchmarks of keeping a read-only replication mysql on the webservers vs a
>> single read/write shared mysql server?
>
> Any time you can spread the reads over multiple servers it will help.
> This is particularly true for MyISAM tables where reads blocks
> writers.  (InnoDB tables behave like Oracle and Postgres, with a MVCC
> model.)

Right - I know that in theory, but was worried about the disk/ram/cpu
overhead of replicating the writes to all of the slave servers
offsetting that benefit...

>> I also thought to buffer common DB query results (like php's sessions) in
>> memcached on reads
>
> I suspect that caching on the level of db queries will get annoying if
> you try to do it everywhere.  You'd be better off caching at a higher
> "object" level if you can, or just caching specific high-value
> queries.

Well, yes, I meant the objects or data structures that result from the
DB query - not the query or the result itself (I'd use Mysql's query
cache for that anyway, not memcached).

Thanks for your input Perrin.

   Issac