perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Mark Blackman <m...@blackmans.org>
Subject Re: reinitializing Perl's notion of $$ in mod_perl
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2008 21:02:40 GMT

On 15 Apr 2008, at 17:27, Torsten Foertsch wrote:

> On Tue 15 Apr 2008, Mark Blackman wrote:
>> int main(int argc, char *argv){
>>    fork();
>>   printf("my pid is %d\n",getpid());
>> }
>
> Please use the fork-syscall here not the C function.

Right, the C library will almost certainly use
the fork() call here to invalidate and update the
cache entry. Using  syscall(SYS_fork) guarantees
that the C library will not get a chance to update
its cache.

However, I'd be very surprised if any application (including
apache) deliberately used syscall(SYS_fork) over fork()
and so even if it is cached, the cache invalidation
is done at the right time.

- Mark