perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com>
Subject Re: RHEL5 & mod_perl
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:33:16 GMT
Carl Johnstone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Anybody got any experiences of mod_perl on RHEL5?
>
> The rpms in RHN suggest versions of:
>
> mod-perl 2.0.2
> apache 2.2.3
> perl 5.8.8
>
> which are reasonable enough (and it's not the pre-release mp2 problem
> that RHEL4 had!)
>
> However in the past there have been plenty of posts suggesting that
> Redhat's official rpms had relatively poor performance etc - is that
> still the case for RHEL5?

I've run mod_perl on Centos5 which is basically the same thing.  I build
perl, mod_perl, and apache from source though.  Red Hat ships perl with
threads enabled, and while that may work in most situations, there is
about a double digit performance hit in addition to running into
potential stability issues.

If this app is user facing, I recommend building all three from source
for maximum speed and stability.  If it isn't a mission critical app,
the stock rpms may work fine for you.