perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jonathan Vanasco <modperl-l...@2xlp.com>
Subject Amazon
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2008 01:59:02 GMT
I've heard from a few reputable sources that Amazon is looking to
drop mod_perl, and push into another technology ( which I've also
head is likely to be Java ).

They have a HUGE deployment on mp, and have been my prime "Um, not
enterprise?  Hello, AMAZON."  repsonse.

I know that people 'in the know' can't comment on record... however
I'm wondering if anyone with second-hand intel has heard , and can
share :

	a- what the bottleneck / scaling issues were
	b- were these due to apache/mod_perl, or because of the framework
implementation... and this is just an opportunity to switch
technologies while they switch frameworks ( ie, is MP to blame, or
Template Toolkit... and MP is taking a fall since its going to be a
PITA to ditch TT )
	c- what the hell the financial projections were on doing this.  are
they looking to save on hardware scaling, developer scaling, is the
codebase just unmanageable?  this would be a costly transition

// Jonathan Vanasco

w. http://findmeon.com/user/jvanasco
e. jonathan@findmeon.com