perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Colin Wetherbee <...@denterprises.org>
Subject Re: return DECLINED or OK?
Date Fri, 29 Feb 2008 21:04:27 GMT
Ronald Dai. wrote:
> Actually RTFM would not be a problem for people from academic
> background (meaning MS or PHD educated) at all since they have to do
> it all the time....but for people with more team work background
> these days, it might not be politically very correct...

I disagree.  Granted, I have a master's degree.

But, let's say, as very nearly happened on another mailing list
yesterday, someone installs database software and can't figure out how
to create a database.  I say go look at the manual and here's the
specific URL that covers creating new databases.  Now, that person knows
where to look for information about creating a database, *and* that
person also knows where to look for answers to future simple questions.

If I had only told that person to type "createdb <your_database_name>",
the manual never would have been involved, and that person would have
emailed the list again for the next basic question that could have been
answered by the manual.

I didn't say "RTFM" in so many words (or letters), but the point was to
give the user some reference material.  Which, so far, seems to have worked.

Colin