perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Michael Lackhoff <mich...@lackhoff.de>
Subject Re: Amazon
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2008 06:24:43 GMT
On 23.02.2008 02:59 Jonathan Vanasco wrote:

> I've heard from a few reputable sources that Amazon is looking to
> drop mod_perl, and push into another technology ( which I've also
> head is likely to be Java ).
>
> They have a HUGE deployment on mp, and have been my prime "Um, not
> enterprise?  Hello, AMAZON."  repsonse.

In a recent issue of the German iX magazine there was a report about a
similar migration (www.mobile.de I think).
There the reasons were, if I remember correctly:
- scaling issues. The underlying design was such that not every
    component of the site was easily scalable.
- some of the original developers left, so it was difficult to
    maintain the original codebase
- JAVA community with lots of help and high quality tools and libraries.
- the new solution used less resources (they saved a few hundred
    servers) and still ran faster.

For me this article showed some important points
- often Perl projects start as quick and dirty solutions that end in
    a maintainability nightmare. Of course it is possible to write
    code in Perl that meets the best standards, but often Perl is used
    when this is not the main focus but when instant results are needed.
- Perl usage is declining. I read some statistics from O'Reilly and
    they showed that Perl book sales are going down.
    A few years ago the 'P' in LAMP clearly was 'Perl', now it is 'PHP'
    in most cases. Developers tend to go (even if slowly) where the money
    is.
- Even the great CPAN repository doesn't seem to match what is
    available for JAVA. I could see this myself when I needed to write
    a Webservice client against a JAVA server with SOAP-Lite or when
    I tried to connect to a CORBA based application.

Just my 0.02 Euro
-Michael