perl-modperl mailing list archives

From John ORourke <j...@versatilia.com>
Subject Re: apache process size
Date Fri, 22 Feb 2008 18:48:25 GMT
Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 09:52:30AM +0000, John ORourke wrote:
>
>> Mine start at around 60MB, jump to 80MB when my app is initialised, and
>> can peak at 120MB during their lifetime.  For reference I tried making
>> the tiniest possible one with everything stripped out, and that was
>> still 40MB - is this normal?
>>
> Your question does not contain enough information.  What is your basis
> the 60MB, 80MB, 120MB, etc, numbers?

Might be showing off my lack of unix admin knowledge here but using
'top', it's the value of the 'virt' column - ie. the biggest possible
process size if the whole thing was resident.  I've been using it to
work out how many clients I should limit apache to, but looking at it
the 'res' figure never seems to get anywhere near the 'virt' figure.
Time to rewrite my assumptions I think!

John