perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Raymond Wan <r...@kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
Subject handler using a module
Date Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:33:34 GMT

Hi all,

I have written a handler to take care of requests and there is something
unexpected [to me, anyway :-) ] happening which may be my fault, but I
was wondering if someone can explain it to me.  Perhaps there is a
problem with my programming style.

The code is long, so I'll briefly mention what I think is relevant
[hopefully I don't leave anything out].  I have a handler called
myHandler.pl:

-----
##  File myHandler.pm
package myHandler;

use lib 'my Path';
use myOwnFunctions;  ##  Located in "my Path"

my $ah = HTML::Mason::ApacheHandler -> new (...);

sub handler {
  my $r = shift;
  $ah -> handle_request ($r);
}

1;
-----

In the file myOwnFunctions.pl:

----
package myOwnFunctions;

sub myFunction {

}

1;
-----

So in an HTML file that will be processed by Mason, I call "myFunction
()" and it says it is undefined.  This surprised me since I indicated
that I am using myOwnFunctions in the handler with the "use" directive.
Is that not the way to do it?  So, then I thought I should call
myFunction as:

myOwnFunctions::myFunction ()

and that gave me an error.  By accident, I typed:

myHandler::myFunction ()

and that worked...  I don't quite know why.  I presume I have done a
mistake somewhere.  Or is this how it should be?

Thanks!

Ray