perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Foo JH <jhfoo...@extracktor.com>
Subject Re: Apache 2.2.6, mod_perl 2.0.3 msvcrt.dll start problem
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2008 02:19:38 GMT
Randy,

> I think characterizing the ASF binaries as unreliable with
> mod_perl is misleading - there were some recent problems
> with restarts, etc. on Win32 that have been looked into
> and addressed for the 2.2.8 release.
The intent of my earlier response was not to undermine the quality of
the ASF builds. I have been relying on the ASF binaries since 1.3 (even
though it was not recommended for Windows). And it's only in the recent
months that I have come to depend on another source until some of my key
needs (on the binaries) are resolved. So please take it as just a layman
sharing his experience and resolution on the problems.

Moving forward, I do see that there's some conversation about
recompiling modperl based on the newer releases of ActivePerl. That's a
very encouraging move.

> - As you say, the ApacheLounge binaries use a different
> compiler version which may in itself introduce some
> problems.
Agreed. To date I still don't know what mess I've gotten myself into by
using this hybrid stack. It's still looking good and I'm crossing my
fingers. Maybe it's finally my lucky year...

> - As well, the latest ApacheLounge binary distribution contains some
> changes:
>    http://www.apachelounge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9752
> from the official ASF 2.2.8 sources, which isn't
> apparent from the title "Apache 2.2.8 available" on
>   http://www.apachelounge.com/
Noted.

> I think it's fair to say the mod_perl developers will only
> provide support for official ASF versions of Apache.

Since mod_perl is an ASF project, I guess it can't be helped. Personally
I do applaud the 2nd take on the Win32 binaries that AL took. Having
said that, at the end of the day everyone lives and dies with the ASF
development.