perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
Subject Re: Apache 2.2.6, mod_perl 2.0.3 msvcrt.dll start problem
Date Sat, 09 Feb 2008 19:14:31 GMT
Randy Kobes wrote:

> I've also seen crashes of Apache/2.2.8 with mod_perl
> when Apache is started as a service, whereas it's fine
> if started from the command line. I'll try the
> suggestion in
>    http://marc.info/?l=apache-modperl&m=120234507226177&w=2
> to see if it's the version of ActivePerl that's the problem.
> However, I also noticed one thing - the mod_perl ppm
> package was compiled against an earlier ActivePerl,
> for binary compatibility with all ActivePerl versions
> (in the 8xx series). If I use mod_perl compiled with
> ActivePerl 822 against the 2.2.8 Apache sources, then
> using it as a service is OK (at least, most of the time;
> I still get very occasional crashes).

We might see what compiling the ppm with .pdb files (not sure if you
do that already) - simply /Zi args to CL.exe and /debug /opt:ref to
the linker (rather than /release).  Of course you can unpack the httpd
symbols from the zip file in the dist/httpd/binaries/win32/symbols.zip,
and that leaves only some activestate code 'undebuggable'.

Let's see what that buys us in terms of a dr watson stack unwind during
the crashes you still see?

It sounds like the lofty goal of binary compatibility between 5.8.8
builds wasn't quite realized, eh?

Bill