perl-modperl mailing list archives

From John ORourke <john-modp...@o-rourke.org>
Subject Re: Apache::DProf giving empty tmon.out files
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:17:41 GMT
Alx G wrote:
> I'm running Apache 2.2.3, the conf has the following in it:
>
> --
> LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
>
> # Perl profiler
> #
> #<Perl>
> #    require Apache::DB;
> #    Apache::DB->init;
> #</Perl>
> PerlModule Apache::DProf
> --
>
> I tried with and without the commented stuff - as was suggested in this
> thread.

I'm running prefork and have used DProf many times.  I even wrote a
script to merge multiple tmon.out files, so you can see how your app is
doing in its normal environment.

The lack of recording happens when you don't do Apache::DB->init, and
you also need to explicitly create the 'dprof' directory in your apache
log directory, and make the apache user own it.

----------------------- perl config include:
<Perl>
    require Apache::DB;
    Apache::DB->init; # required otherwise very few subroutine calls get
captured
</Perl>
PerlModule Apache::DProf

----------------------- files:
(replace /var/log/httpd with your main log file path)

/var/log/httpd/dprof/   ********** you have to explicitly create this,
and make it owned by the apache user

/var/log/httpd/dprof/PID/tmon.out   <----- output from a particular
process (where PID is the pid)

Once you've let it run and made a few requests (make lots of requests so
any heavy startup code doesn't overshadow the real results, and so each
process gets a go), merge the tmon.out files using this script:

http://www.versatilia.com/downloads/merge-tmon-out.pl

(see top of file for usage)

hope that helps,
John