perl-modperl mailing list archives

From c chan <cchan19...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: question on startup.pl overriding perl search path
Date Sun, 20 Jan 2008 05:43:14 GMT

-----Original Message-----

all the CGIs. Inside startup.pl, I added the line:

>>   use lib qw(. mylib);
>>
>> To me amazement, after all the CGI is precompiled, they start to look into the "."
and "mylib" path for loading Perl Modules without even having the line [use lib qw(. mylib);]
incorporated in each individual cgi script.

>> Can someone explain to me why this is the case? Is the mod_perl startup.pl script
simply becomes the parent apache process for all the preloaded CGIs?

>This is normal.  Under mod_perl the perl interpreter just keeps running
>until the apache child dies your modified @INC stays modified.  I'm sure
>someone with a better understanding of the internals can give a more
>detailed 'why'.  FYI though, you should probably use PerlPostConfigRequire
>
>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html#C_PerlPostConfigRequire_
>
>> If I remove mod_perl, can I use the
>>
>>   PerlSetEnv -I/var/www/html/mypath -I/var/www/html/mypath/lib
>>
>> to achieve the same result.
>
>Isn't PerlSetEnv part of mod_perl?  In which case, no that wouldn't work
>if you'd removed mod_perl
Thank you for your clarification. To make the CGI scripts both work under Apache and mod_perl,
I put the "use lib qw(...);" in everyone of them.

- Clement

>> This will make a profound effect on my CGI directory because whatever I installed
will no longer affect the system perl module search path. In effect, this will make my application
self contained and making trouble shooting make easier.