perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Boysenberry Payne <boysenbe...@habitatlife.com>
Subject Re: help with rewriting CGI
Date Sun, 30 Dec 2007 19:49:26 GMT
> Once complete, I can preload the modules at Apache startup.  Is
> that correct?

If you want to benefit from pre compiling your code using something
like a startup.pl file to load the modules
you use would speed things up considerably from running them as CGI cgi.

I use 2 files one for 3rd party modules and one for my own with it's
own include path.

> Also, I may want to use ajax, therefore, what modules will I need
> to run Apache2::Ajax?

Ajax is a client side technology.  You would use whatever you're
using now, only
running your cgi as mod_perl scripts instead, e.g. if you use CGI.pm
to process
ajax requests currently, you might want to look into the APR modules
as replacements for
acquiring your request data.
http://httpd.apache.org/apreq/docs/libapreq2/modules.html

Also keep in mind using mod_perl over standard cgi scripts gives you
a larger apache life cycle,
i.e. some scripts might be better off applied as filters rather than
during the response phase.

http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/
http.html#PerlResponseHandler
http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/
filters.html#HTTP_Request_Versus_Connection_Filters

Hope that helps.

-bop