perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Perrin Harkins" <per...@elem.com>
Subject Re: simple profiling capability
Date Mon, 12 Nov 2007 21:06:05 GMT
On Nov 12, 2007 3:25 PM, E R <pc88mxer@gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. a call to $profile->mark(...) will emit a special record to the log file
> 2. on server start up, spawn a single process to monitor the log file
> and collect profile records
> 3. have the monitoring process listen on a socket for requests for the info
> 4. implement some method of keeping the monitoring process alive

You could just give it a web interface.  Write a program that watches
and summarizes the log file and writes out stats to a separate HTML
file every few seconds which you can display through your web server.

> I especially like the idea that logging won't lock up the httpd process.
> And Apache makes sure that log writes are atomic, right?

Yes, if you're just writing to a standard log.  If you use small
writes (less than 4K is typical I think, but it's OS-dependent),
writing to any file opened for append will be atomic.

- Perrin