perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Fred Moyer <f...@redhotpenguin.com>
Subject Re: Error running mod_perl on Apache within FreeBSD jail
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2007 00:27:59 GMT
Briggs, Chris wrote:
> I am running Apache 1.3 in a FreeBSD jail which works as expected.
>
> Next I added in mod_perl 1.0 by installing, adding the entry to the
> httpd.conf file to load dynamically and copy across the libraries to the
> jail.
>
> I also copied the usr/bin/perl file and the directories under perl5 to
> the jail, however apache will no longer start as it is displaying an
> error as follows:

the Perl binary isn't relocatable (at least up to 5.10) so I don't think
that you can just copy the binary, and the libraries and it will just
work.  I'm not too familiar with how bsd jails work, but you might want
to try downloading perl and compiling from source within the jail, and
doing the same for mod_perl and Apache.

Does free bsd have a decent virtual machine that you could use instead
of a jail?  Then you would be able to avoid this problem.  Chroot jails
are old and busted, virtualization is the new hotness, at least that's
what I've heard.

- Fred