perl-modperl mailing list archives

From "Carl Johnstone" <modp...@fadetoblack.me.uk>
Subject reverse proxy/logging problem
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 15:07:53 GMT
Hi,

I've got a two-apache reverse proxy setup, split over two hosts.

The problem I've got is that I'd like to put the user_id in the access logs
so that our log analysis software can make use of it.

Setting apache->user correctly logs the user at the back-end however the IP
addresses are wrong, being the internal address of the front-end proxy. Also
requests dealt with purely at the front-end aren't logged.

Logging at the front-end means all requests are logged with the right IP
address. Additional bonuses for me are that those servers are less loaded,
and I'd be able to turn off logging at the back-end. However the user_id
isn't available.

Is there any easy way to pass the user_id from the back-end in such a way
the front-end could log it? Or is there another option?

Carl