perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jonathan Vanasco <jvana...@2xlp.com>
Subject Re: which module for this purpose?
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:32:24 GMT

On Jun 14, 2007, at 11:53 AM, Jen mlists wrote:
> Yes I did also consider using mp2.But when I searched on this list and
> found many guys mentioned they install/run mp2 unsucessfully,so I
> picked the easy way of mp1.:-)

Thats not the easy way, thats the hard way...  just install mp2 and
save yourself further headaches.  the people who have issues with mp2
either have platform issues with building it which this list will
fix, or have just as many problems with mp1.

A very confusing thing about mod_perl, and what often gets me, is
that when you return OK or forbidden from a phase, you're not
necessarily returning that to the client -- you're just returning it
to apache chain.  so if you return OK from a auth check, you didn't
send an HTTP_OK to the client, you just sent "ok" to apache, which
moves on.  or "forbidden" which will stop and then send an
http_forbidden.  the internal apache codes + http spec / to-client
codes are similarly named as they have nearly identity functions.

Based on your design constraints, I have two guesses on what you're
building.
	a- you're doing some sort of design/agency thing where you need to
authorize clients
	b- you're doing some sort of web porn download service, where you
need authorize customers and keep the file names from floating around

with that in mind, in addition to the auth handlers, i'd also look
into transhandlers-- where you can map urls / files to whatever you
want.
you can also play with something like this...

	$self->PageUser->ApacheRequest->content_type('text/calendar');
	$self->PageUser->ApacheRequest->err_headers_out->set("Content-
Disposition" =>"inline; filename=${filename}.cal");

which will let me turn a http://calendar/path/to/091231jhh?1238u13
into whatever i want for dynamic content.

// Jonathan Vanasco