perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>
Subject Re: opinions of mod_perl users on MIME email sending
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2007 21:36:36 GMT
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 17:16:14 -0400
Jonathan Vanasco <jvanasco@2xlp.com> wrote:

> >   Well I wasn't talking about another MP process, just a standard
> >   Perl daemon maybe using something like the Net::Server framework.
> >
> >   Or if the timing isn't terribly important, just have your
> >   mp code shove the message into a db table and have a cron
> >   pick them up and send them off in the background.
> why not just pipe to exim/postfix/qmail?

  Off the top of my head? So you can centralize your SMTP
  onto on system if you have multiple servers in the mix. But
  that's what MIME::Lite and friends do if you don't specifically
  tell it to use a remote system.

> you could also do a twisted daemon really quickly.  i know this is a
> modperl list-- but the twisted framework works really well for this
> stuff.  you could code a custom mailserver in an afternoon .

  Yeah I've seen some neat twisted stuff, POE might be a reasonable
  alternative in the Perl space.

   Frank Wiles, Revolution Systems, LLC.
     Personal : frank@wiles.org  http://www.wiles.org
     Work     : frank@revsys.com http://www.revsys.com