perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Frank Wiles <fr...@wiles.org>
Subject Re: opinions of mod_perl users on MIME email sending
Date Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:21:33 GMT
On Thu, 21 Jun 2007 20:56:23 +0100
John ORourke <john-modperl@o-rourke.org> wrote:

> Thanks Frank,
>
> Actually it was reading about Mime::Lite::TT::HTML on your excellent
> tutorial which inspired the question!

  What a coincidence! I swear I wasn't tailing my logs or anything! ;)

> I have a framework similar to TT and the like, so I'm thinking of
> creating something like the above module which handles all the
> Unicode stuff, and which allows subclassing for use with different
> templating systems and frameworks.   Something like
> Mime::Lite::Template::<your_framework_here>
>
> I've finally sorted myself out with a PAUSE account so I'll be
> scouting around for the ideal namespace at some point.  I'll be
> discussing off-list with Jonathan Vanasco so do butt in if you're
> keen to contribute.

  Yeah that's a good idea, put in hooks for HTML::Template, Mason,
  etc.

> I like your idea of submitting it to a different mp process, might
> well be some mileage there - an email submission module with
> subclasses for different submission methods perhaps.  I was using
> Net::SMTP to send to a local relay, but found it could get stuck on
> DNS lookups for address verification.

  Well I wasn't talking about another MP process, just a standard
  Perl daemon maybe using something like the Net::Server framework.

  Or if the timing isn't terribly important, just have your
  mp code shove the message into a db table and have a cron
  pick them up and send them off in the background.

   Frank Wiles, Revolution Systems, LLC.
     Personal : frank@wiles.org  http://www.wiles.org
     Work     : frank@revsys.com http://www.revsys.com