perl-modperl mailing list archives

From Jonathan Vanasco <jvana...@2xlp.com>
Subject Re: problem calling a file under mod_perl2
Date Wed, 30 May 2007 14:51:21 GMT

On May 29, 2007, at 11:46 AM, Clinton Gormley wrote:

> The only way I can think of would be to make a web request in PHP, so
> the PHP program does an HTTP request to your web server, to call the
> perl script, then does something with the data that is returned.
>
> Not optimal, but it may suit your needs

I don't think thats not-optimal at all.   I do it a lot.

If you're going that route, i'd drop apache on the php side.

You probably don't want to run mod_php and mod_apache on the same
httpd process -- it'll eat a ton of memory , and not be very fast, as
both will compete against each other for resources and memory.
you'll want 2 separate web server pools.

There's really no advantage to running php under apache , vs any
other system.  mod_perl, mod_python, mod__everything_else all have
wonderful apache hooks that offer you a lot of flex in apache.
mod_php doesn't.  so i'd drop the apache for php, run nginx w/fastcgi
+php w/eaccelerator|apc (which is considerably faster), and then run
a small pool of mod_perl servers in the back for your requests.  you
should see a big increase in performance.

in our setup, we do this:

port 80:				nginx
ports: 7000-9000		modperl ( handlers assigned to individual ports )
ports: 10000-10100 	twisted_python
ports: 11000-11100	nginx w/ php-fcgi

rewrite rules on port80 assign urls to handlers in mp ( via specific
ports ), or applications in twisted or php.
modperl itself sometimes just makes an internal request to a service
on a higher port

using this approach, we *dramatically* cut down on memory usage and
cpu bottlenecks.  we can quickly port code to another language that
can execute it faster w/less resource usage.  that ends up in
mod_perl being able to serve way more requests/second than before.

// Jonathan Vanasco